Thursday, July 22, 2010

Book Review



So, here's my first review for the EW Summer Reading Challenge at www.bookingmama.com.

I read Half Life by Roopa Farooki.
Hmmm...well, it's the story of 2 good friends who reconnect after 2 years apart. It's told in present tense and in flashbacks, and also through different characters' eyes (which made it very interesting). I couldn't stop reading it, very easy to read, but when I finished, I realized that I didn't really like the book! I couldn't stand the main female character, Aruna! I didn't like any of the choices she made, and she was a true b*tch! She treated the men in the story horribly, but they adored her! I know she was seriously flawed because of her life experiences, but it didn't endear me to her at all. I liked the male characters much better, especially Jazz. The storyline was intriguing, and not what I expected at all. However, there were a few loose ends that were never answered for me, and the ending was terribly sad (in my opinion). It's not that I don't mind sad endings...love Kate Morton's books...but this ending didn't work for me...I did enjoy that it was about a different culture: Singapore, India (love reading books like that), but out of four stars, I would give it one. That being said, I liked the writing style, and I would read another book by this author!

2 comments:

Julie P. said...

I'm so sorry that this book didn't live up to your expectations! I'm not sure that I liked all of the characters, but I found the story and cultural aspects to be very interesting. Plus, I really liked the author's writing style!

Amy said...

Oh, I agree, Julie! The writing style was great...would read another book of hers...i guess the ending really threw me for a loop. I cried, and probably for the wrong reason! In fact, I discussed the ending with my hubby, and we both agreed we would have done the opposite of what they did, even knowing the facts. I'm just a big old romantic at heart! LOL! :-) Thanks for stopping by!