Saturday, January 15, 2011

Reviews of Organizing Books

So, I have an addiction to books...if you are my friend on goodreads, you know that. I also have a slight addiction to organizing books. So, in the spirit of all the organizing going down, I thought I share some of my favs:

Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider: if you know the simple mom blog: www.simplemom.net, then you will like this short book. It is broken down into 2 parts: the first gives tools and suggestions for living a simpler life (money, time, schedule, clutter, life goals). I love what Tsh has to say, so I really enjoyed this section. Living simply is something I want to strive for, and we're making progress, I think. The second half is her plan to decluttering your home. It's a 10 day plan, if you go all out for it. I don't have the time to do it in 10 days (maybe summer), but I'm taking suggestions and currently following Toni's schedule (the challenge!), which is more do-able for me, at this time. But a good resource to have. I bought a copy, and I'm glad I have it!

The House That Cleans Itself by Mindy Starns Clark. This is a library check-out, which I have renewed to the maximum....bummer. It's completely different from the other books...but I like it a lot! She helps you see things in "zones" in your house, and that clutter is a result of not being organized in those zones: homework, bill paying, laundry, etc. Basically, set up stations, and organize those stations, and your house will be more orderly. I am enjoying this, though I have not attempted her "plan" that she advocates in her book.

Organize Now! by Jennifer Ford Berry. This is a week by week book to organize yourself, your house, your finances, etc in a year. I bought this and made it to about week 5...but I think I will pick it up again. If you like following checklists, you will love this book! (Looks like the amazon link takes you to new version...new and improved!)

It's All Too Much by Peter Walsh. You know Peter, right? The TLC organizing guru, been on Oprah, etc. Love him! This book is more of the reasoning behind why our homes are cluttered. He leads you through thinking about your things and why we hold onto things. This is a great book to read before starting a big organizing kick because you will look at your things differently. I held onto a lot of things that were my Grandma's (she was crafty), but things I didn't really need or like anymore, but they were hers. Peter helped me to see that when you get rid of something that belonged to someone special, you aren't getting rid of the memories. Sounds simple, right? Raise your hand if you have things in boxes you can't part with yet....I threw away boxes of "stuff" I saved for those reasons.

Absolutely Organized: A Mom's Guide To a No-Stress Schedule and Clutter Free Home by Debbie Lillard (not pictured)
This is a tiny little book, but full of sensible, good ideas for dealing with the children's stuff: toys, clothes, memorabilia and dealing with everyone's schedules. I got a lot of good tips from this book. Checked this one out from the library, but it's on my paperback swap wish list.
So, there you go. I have a few more books, I'd like to check out, like:
Peter Walsh's new book and
One Thing at a Time

What about you????






No comments: